The Train Fans Site
The 480 series or K-36 locomotives were ten engines designed for the D&RGW. They were built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1925. The 480's were the last ten narrow gauge locomotives constructed in the United States. The 480s were used for freight-hauling throughout the D&RGW narrow gauge network.
The Cumbres and Toltec owns four K-36s: 483,
Engines 480, 481, 482, and 486 are owned by the
Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. 485, unfortunately,
fell into the turntable pit in Salida, Colorado in 1955. It was
scrapped for parts thereafter.
The K 36's were used primarily as freight locomotives out of Alamosa to Durango, Colorado and to Farmington, New Mexico. They were built with special valves to allow brake control between locomotives while doubleheading, and were commonly found between Alamosa and Chama, New Mexico. They were heavily used during the pipe boom in Farmington, New Mexico, and hauled long freight trains between Alamosa and Farmington, returning with natural gas and other goods.